The classic R-Type II is on sale right now on Google Play. This is one of the classic side scrolling shooters of yesteryear. This was one of the better-looking shooters back in the day, and it still is. On mobile devices there is not a lot of choices available for scrolling shooters and having both R-Type I and II available is just awesome.
Taking place two years after the events that played out in the first R-Type game, R-Type II has you controlling the R-9C which is an improved R-9 (from the first game). Unfortunately, your work in the first R-Type was not complete like we thought because the Bydo Empire is back and they are rather upset about the events from the first R-Type.
R-Type II features six levels, each with a unique boss, weapon upgrades and power-ups, and literally tons of enemies to take down. DotEmu have done their homework and didn’t just throw R-Type II onto mobile, they added:
Choose between three difficulty settings: unlimited (unlimited lives), normal (same as original) & insane (more challenge!).
• Two control modes: Touch and virtual D-Pad
• Customizable controls
• Auto Fire ON/OFF
• Available in 10 languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese and Portuguese.
• Play in full-screen, or keep the game’s original screen ratio
• Google Play Game Services: 11 unlockable achievements + online leaderboards (normal & insane modes only)
• Compatible with the MoGa Wireless Game Controllers, NVIDIA SHIELD, Xperia Play & more.
• Available on M.O.J.O.
• Tablet support
If you are looking for a new shooter to play on your mobile device, you can certainly do a lot worse than R-Type II. Grab it while it is on sale and enjoy it. That is what games like this were meant to be – enjoyed, dialed in, beaten, but first and foremost enjoyed.