Avadon 3: The Warborn is an epic fantasy CRPG releasing on September 14. It is the final installment in Spiderweb Software’s legendary Avadon series.
For the uninitiated, Spiderweb Software was founded in 1994 by Jeff Vogel. He has manned the company largely solo ever since. From the beginning he has described his games as old school RPGs. Avadon 3 is no exception.
As with the previous games you are a Hand of Avadon- a person with near unlimited power to fight the enemies of your homeland. You are warrior and spy, judge and executioner. While you have enjoyed your peace your enemies have prepared. The invasion is upon you. You are the only one who holds the key to stopping them, but will you? Should you? In the end the choice is yours and yours alone. You may lead Avadon to peace or betray your leaders and countrymen to the encroaching barbarian hordes. These choices and those in between are yours to make in this massively open ended game.
Over the course of the last year Jeff has worked closely with members of the game’s community. Together they have tested the game and made many important changes to it and its engine compared to the previous games in the series.
- The ground effects from Avernum have made a come back.
- These are effects that trigger when an enemy crosses into an area on the ground you have either cursed or blessed.
- Friendly Fire
- Hard and Torment modes will feature friendly fire to make group placement more meaningful than in previous games.
- Fatigue has been reworked.
- Fatigue is a resource used to activate certain abilities.
- Previously it regenerated slowly, but corresponding abilities had a low cost.
- It now regenerates quickly out of combat, and the abilities cost more.
- You can now see the path your character will take in combat. You can adjust this to your liking by breaking the path into shorter segments.
- Quick Use and Action slots may be merged.
- Talks infer there may be eight slots where you may now slot quick use items or abilities.
- I have seen no absolute confirmation of this but it has been heavily hinted at.
- Inventory will open and close with the same button.
- Finally. This is perhaps the most important change in my opinion.
- Looting now sorts objects by value, high to low.
Over all between the intensive closed betas and community input I think Avadon 3: The Warborn is shaping up to be the best game in the series. It comes to PC, Mac, and IOS September 14.