Add to Flipboard Magazine.

Powered by Max Banner Ads

Giant robots and gaming seem to go together quite well.  While a bigger thing in anime, giant robots hold their own in gaming.  From anime to board games to video games, giant robots kick butt and fans can’t get enough of them.  Whether it be Robotech, Voltron, Transformers or the subject of this article- Battletech- fans love giant robots.  Is it the fact that these are giant machines?  Is it the fascination with the devastation that is caused when they are used with ill intent?  Whatever it is, fans can’t get enough.  The challenge of bringing Battletech to the Sega Genesis is that this is a board game and the Genesis title is an action game.  For one, most of the stats are gone and others are hidden away from the gamer- which works great.

Viewed from an isometric overhead point of view, Battletech is all about action and planning.  If you go in blasting the guns you will lose quite quickly.  Taking your time and planning out your steps will help you survive longer but is not near as fun as just blasting things.  Keep in mind you are thrashing the game world in a giant robot that is armed to the teeth.

The biggest problem with Battletech is that your mech sprite is so big it is cumbersome to traverse the level effectively.  You will constantly be checking the in game map which takes you out of the action quite a bit.  If you have a second player available you can play a unique two player game.  In two player mode one person controls the legs and moves the mech around the map while the second player controls the top half and handles shooting the enemy.  Rather interesting take on two player mode when other games would opt for a split screen.

Battletech was ported to the Super Nintendo and named Battletech 3050, keeping the viewpoint and the challenge level quite high.  Another giant robot game that might be of interest to fans of Battletech is Antraxx, covered here on Retro Gaming Magazine.

There has not been a virtual re-release of Battletech that I am aware of so you are left with grabbing a copy off of Ebay.

Carl Williams

It is time gaming journalism takes its rightful place as proper sources and not fanboys giving free advertising. If you wish to support writers like Carl please use the links below. https://www.paypal.me/WCW

More Posts - Website

TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusStumbleUponYouTubeReddit

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

16 Responses to “Battletech Brings Overhead Giant Robot Stomping to Sega Genesis – Today in History – February 2nd, 1994”

1. YOUDIEMOFO says:

So awesome, I still remember playing the helicopter games that look just like this. I’ve got Comanche stuck in my mind, but I’m almost certain it is not.

• Carl Williams says:

You are thinking of the Strike games- Desert Strike, Jungle, Urban, Soviet, Nuclear by EA.

• YOUDIEMOFO says:

YES!!! That is it…… Man those were so much fun….

• Carl Williams says:

If EA cared, they would continue those games. At least redo them for modern consoles with HD graphics (don’t change them to full on 3D as default but give the option for those that want it). That would get them some positive PR from many fans, hell, even a sale or two, I am sure.

• YOUDIEMOFO says:

Maaaaan……. You said it perfectly and also hit the nail on the head. “if EA cared” being the root of that comment….

• YOUDIEMOFO says:

I would buy up the whole re-boot package if it were offered….. With or without the crazy effects. Just give me some BA retro gaming love with the added efrects and you’ve got yourself a sold IP right here…..!!!!!

2. YOUDIEMOFO says:

And why is it that Windows 10 Mobile is asking me if your site is a phishing scam?

• Michael Crisman says:

Just to be sure, I checked the site with SafeURL.net, Google’s Safe Browsing, Norton Safe Web, and McAfee Labs Security Advisory. They all returned a “safe” rating with zero concerns. Unless we’re the most fearsome l33t haxorz on the interwebs d00d, I’m going with my first assumption: Windows 10 Mobile has a few problems.

–Michael

• Carl Williams says:

Probably due to the Bitcoin ads. We have had similar problems reported by visitors over the years (even when we were running Google Adsense). It is probably something to do with the content of one of the ads that is being run when you are visiting (we have no control over the ads that the service runs, other than categories).

Thanks for bringing this up. I will notify our ad service and see if they can pinpoint which ad it is, if it is an ad.

• YOUDIEMOFO says:

Gotcha….. Just seemed a bit weird. Using my new Lumia 950XL was a bit of some “sticker/screen” shock when having it ask me to condone a site through their security.

Thank you as always for your responses and killer site.

• Carl Williams says:

Michael Crisman wrote a comment but it is not showing up for some reason (even though it is approved).

Posting it here so everyone can read it (he goes more technical than I thought to).

“Windows 10 Mobile is asking if we’re a phishing scam because it’s Windows 10 Mobile, the great unfinished operating system dedicated to turning millions of people world wide into its unpaid beta testers.

–Michael”

I still say it has to be an ad that is running through the Bitcoin ad service we use. I have notified them and they are looking into it.

• YOUDIEMOFO says:

Word up….., but I’ll stick with my beta testing ass over IOS POS any day….. Have had a much better experience in one month on my Windows phone than I have on an IOS (anything) in six plus years.
            Thinking one company has had a little bit longer time to get their crap straight. But we can see who is truly coming out with better things to offer….

• Carl Williams says:

I am a big Windows Phone fan myself – http://gravisludus.com/?s=windows+phone&x=0&y=0

I only have a 635 right now and a couple of Windows 10 tablets. As far as phones go, I think I am done. I think it is time to just get back to a phone that rings and makes calls for my needs- everything else is done better on a tablet or full computer.

• YOUDIEMOFO says:

Word up….. I do agree to an extent……, but can not get passed my experience with my (IOS) tablet and phone all together….and their closed minded everything. I use my phone more than any piece of equipment in my house now that I have it over my tablet. Everything is just easier not to mention better/faster than before. And the functionality of being seamless is just amazing. Without going mac and osx with IOS….. I like being able to download my files as I see fit on the “go” and getting home to make things happen on my mac-daddy PC when I get home. A phone is a phone is a phone is a phone, but functionality speaks volumes…. Apps… Well if that is what you are there for on your device then this is not it. I play games on the system i built, but if actual functionality is then yes get a windows phone…

• Carl Williams says:

Oh yeah, definitely. I have an iPod Touch 4th Gen only because I was running a portable website (Gaming on Batteries) and was receiving a lot of codes but no one to review them. I didn’t buy one because I wanted it. lol

I still get more done on my Windows Phone than I do on my Android phone. Mostly because I can tailor the live tiles like I want, see things at a glance and act on what is important without opening 5+ apps to find out if there is anything new.

Also, thanks to there not being a ton of apps on Windows Phone there are less distractions when I am using it. Less interruptions saying this or that is updating or just updated.

• YOUDIEMOFO says: