Unreleased games are one thing that we love uncovering here at Retro Gaming Magazine. These are usually fun games that are completed but for some reason they never got released. The Sega Saturn is one system that was the recipient of a lot of cool games, most of them stayed in Japan. Unfortunately for many developers Sega’s unceremonious discontinuation of the system caused a lot of games to go unfinished/unreleased and a lot of developers upset. Thanks to fans working together, we can proudly say, Chelnov, aka Atomic Runner, is now available for the Sega Saturn.
Since this version is based on the arcade original, it is quite a bit different than the Sega Genesis version that was released in Japan and the United States. For those that do not know about Chelnov, aka Atomic Runner, it is a 2D side scrolling action game that could be blamed for the endless running fad that hit mobile platforms. Seriously though, this is a pretty decent game that has not, until now, seen a home release.
For collectors, here is one more Sega Saturn game for your collection, one that never saw an official release making it even sweeter. There are even various box sleeves available after the jump for collectors on both sides of the pond. Head over to Sega-Saturn.net for the download link, boxes and more.
For more information on the Sega Genesis version of Chelnov, aka Atomic Runner, check out our Today in History article.
- Today in History: October 16th, 1992- Atomic Runner Treads on Sega Genesis (41.8%)
- Fans Plan to Release Phantasy Star Online 2, Sega Silent on Matter (20.8%)
- New Game: Sonic 2 HD Re-Instated by Unofficial Team (13.9%)
- Super Smash Bros Crusade Devs Open Character Poll (Unofficial Game) (13.9%)
- Chuck Yeager's Fighter Combat to See Extremely Limited Release on Nintendo Entertainment System (13.7%)
- Classic Arcade Shooter, Ikaruga, Coming to Steam (RANDOM - 0.3%)