Renegade, the classic arcade brawler that has a technological prequel to Double Dragon, is now available on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS Virtual Consoles. While not remembered as the best brawler, Renegade did spawn a few unofficial sequels, was ported to several platforms and has a certain charm in its simplicity.
Renegade is definitely squarely in the corner of punch, kick and jump mechanics. You won’t be throwing fire balls or doing dragon punchs in this one. It was a different time. This is the first game to give players a lot of the mainstays in these brawlers such as enemies taking damage rather than dying after one hit, depth of playfield and moving in those four directions. A forgotten pioneer for sure.
Renegade has hit the NES and Master System (both extremely different from the arcade version), various computers such as the Commodore 64, Apple II and Amiga among others.
The version we are seeing on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS Virtual Consoles is the NES version, not the arcade original. Previously this version hit the Wii Virtual Console.
- Top 10 Amstrad CPC Arcade Conversions (Awesomeness Can't be Confined so We Goto 14) (47.3%)
- Fan Translation: Dragon Knife, a Double Dragon Clone, Released for the Nintendo NES (35%)
- Retro Game of the Month - River City Ransom (NES) (25%)
- Bandit Gaming: Block Out Beta Released on Nintendo Entertainment System (23.2%)
- Prototype: Rastan Demo for Atari ST Discovered by Ocean Software (16.3%)
- New Game: Mopiranger for the Korean Sega Master System Found and Released (RANDOM - 1.3%)