He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is an iconic cartoon from the early 80’s that took muscle bound characters and pitted them against each other in what could have been a WWE face versus villain match up. For each guy and girl, there was an equally cunning, of buffooning, counterpart (the bad guys weren’t saddled with all of the idiots). Gaming was not real kind to the Masters of the Universe though, only recently getting games that were considered “good” (over on Gaming on Batteries, the iOS and Android verisons rated quite well due to the great fan service and quality controls).
Fans are not the type to stand around too long before making a game based on a license they enjoy. That is what has happened with He-Man. Using the Beats of Rage engine is sometimes a hindrance but here, it is a welcome addition- it eliminates all of the behind the scenes problems that home coders face and allows them to focus on the front end a lot more. While not animate all that well right now, He-Man shows promise (remember this is all by a fan that knows they will probably never see any financial return on their work).
Now to see if any of the levels will be based on episodes of the show. Will we get levels that involve assaults on Castle Greyskull or the palace or Snake Mountain? Will there be vehicle levels? How will Mer-Man and his cadre be represented?
- Bandit Gaming- Legend of Zelda - The Last Oracle In Development (31.7%)
- OpenBOR: Avengers: United Battle Continues Development (26%)
- OpenBOR: Power Rangers- Beats of Power Released (25.1%)
- OpenBOR: Marvel First Alliance 2 Released (24.9%)
- Retro Game Sales for April 26th, 2014 (23.2%)
- 5 Obscure 8-Bit Gaming Licenses You Don't See Anymore (RANDOM - 0.3%)