Back in the day, Microsoft had it kind of tough getting original titles on their Xbox system. Some companies showed support while hold certain games back for whatever reason. Viewtiful Joe 2 is one of those titles that snubbed the console from Seattle. Previously released on the Nintendo Gamecube, Viewtiful Joe 2 made his debut today, nine years ago, on Sony’s Playstation 2.
For those that do not know, Viewtiful Joe 2 is a 2D beat ‘em up with some platforming elemnets mixed in to break up the monotony of bashing heads. The art style is what most will remember about Viewtiful Joe and Viewtiful Joe 2- cell shaded graphics that make it look quite a bit like a cartoon come to life in the hands of the player. Capcom had dabbled in this style before with Auto Modellista.
With Viewtiful Joe 2, there are two characters available, the protagonist that shares the game name and Sexy Silvia. Each character has the ability to slow down time, speed up time, zoom into the screen focusing on the action or even rewinding the “scene” and replaying it (for those times that you didn’t get the result you wanted).
Cell shaded gaming fans (there are more than a couple out there) here you go. Brawler fans (Final Fight anyone?), action platforming fans, etc there is plenty here to enjoy.
There has been no digital re-release of Viewtiful Joe 2 on any platform as of this writing. If you are interested in obtaining a copy of Viewtiful Joe 2 you can keep an eye on these sponsors as they get copies in from time to time:
- Today in History: December 31st, 1999- Zombie Revenge is Released on Sega Dreamcast (30.9%)
- Today in History: December 7th, 2004 - Kuon Turns Survival Horror Upside Down on Playstation 2 (30.4%)
- Bandit Gaming: Resident Evil 2 GBA Tech Demo Released (29.6%)
- Fans Make Shenmue II, With English Voices, Available for Sega Dreamcast (27.8%)
- New Game: Mysterious Song II: Eternal Silence Announced for Turbo Grafx-16/PC-Engine CD-ROM (27.4%)
- New Game: Flying Hamster II For Windows (RANDOM - 2.4%)