Mega Man is one of a select few legacy franchises that has survived since the Nintendo Entertainment System days and is not a Nintendo bred title. There are not a lot of other titles in this group so it is quite an elite list. Mega Man is also a title that has touched nearly every console that reach mainstream success over the years (Capcom did snub a couple here and there). With Mega Man X8 though, Capcom marked the changing of the guard so to speak- Keiji Inafune was not in charge of the blue bomber anymore and a new team took charge.
Featuring gameplay similar to Pandemonium (anyone remember that 32-Bit classic?) with smooth transitions from 2D side scrolling to 3D sections of the level, Mega Man X8 was not a title that was well received. Hovering around the 7/10 mark, while not bad, is not great for a Mega Man game.
Mega Man X8 is available on Playstation 2 and Windows (sponsored links for availability below):
- Today in History: December 7th, 2004 - Kuon Turns Survival Horror Upside Down on Playstation 2 (91.4%)
- Today in History: December 8th, 2004- Viewtiful Joe 2 Snubs Xbox and Lands on Sony Hardware (36.7%)
- New Game: Chariot Brings Umihara Kawase and Bionic Commando Style Mixed with Defensive Play to Modern Gamers (11.6%)
- Collect Coins and Beat Up Baddies in Top Hunter for the Neo Geo: Today in History- May 18th, 1994 (10.1%)
- Retro Gaming Halloween Style, Part Five: Disaster Report (10.1%)
- Today in Gaming History: October 12th 1993- Aero the Acro-Bat Flies onto SNES and Genesis (RANDOM - 4.3%)