Atomic Runner, a title that many probably don’t remember, was probably the birth of endless running games. Before the complaints start rolling in, think about this- Atomic Runner is all forced scrolling, though the player has control over Chelnov (the character in the game). While not “endless” Atomic Runner does hold similarities to newer titles just like Pitfall is similar to Super Mario Bros.
Developed quite a bit like “run and gun” games of the time, Atomic Runner, at least in Japan, had a controversial life. There are ties to Chernobyl and Russia for instance that Data East left in (but removed when porting the game to Sega Genesis).
Atomic Runner/Chelnov is available on the Japanese Nintendo Wii Virtual Console. No other North American release has been made available. Folks, you want to play this, you are going to have to go full retro.
- Unreleased Game: Chelnov/Atomic Runner Arcade Game for Sega Saturn (37.2%)
- Endless Running Games Go Retro with JumpVCS on Atari 2600 (24.4%)
- Today in Retro Gaming: Two Crude Dudes (22.8%)
- Contra III: The Alien Wars Leaps onto the SNES- Today in History: April 6th, 1992 (13%)
- 3D Endless Running Takes Off With Space Harrier II on Sega Genesis - Today in History - August 14th, 1989 (12.5%)
- Kickstart: Grapple Force Rena Brings Back Bionic Commando Style Gaming (RANDOM - 0.1%)